Thursday, 5 November 2009

The Africa we want to see


Two blogs in a row...i'm on a roll!!(pls don't judge me, I just really wanted to write that)

Ok so I am writing a corruption report at the moment and so I have been reading loads of randomness on corruption and development etc. A few posts ago, I wrote about how ignorance is killing the West and they need to look past the Africa they see in the media. No doubt, the media does not show affluent Africa and the goodness it has and therefore there is a biased view. I still stand by that...Africa the continent does have its pluses... However having read all these things I have read (and might I add that quite a number of them have been written by Africans so let's not jump and say that it is still from the Western eye), I have come to the conclusion that no one sees Africa correctly...we are all biased and need to be more open-minded...again Tolerance is key!!

I hate the media showing those kids who don't have water, I hate campaigns for African aid, ***at one point I stopped buying volvic water because it had that for every bottle 10p or whatever goes to Africa.
I have never seen this Africa to be honest, I have grown up in relative affluence and have gone to good schools and so have my friends. But I should not deny that it exists, the Africa in the media exists more than we Africans like to admit. Corruption has riddled our governments and therefore affluence is not necessarily pure...we see wealth and some of it is not even ours...it is stolen from the Africa the media shows. Did you know that Idi Amin titled himself His Excellency, President for Life,Field Marshal Al Hadji Dr. Idi Amin, VC, DSO,MC, Lord of all the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in particular...what sort of mad man was he to name himself this...he is the Africa I never saw or thought possible...I knew he was bad but for me this title is the height of the madness...I know not all our leaders are like this but many of our leaders are half-baked mad men who have stolen or bought power through democratic elections...they are the Africa we don't want to accept exist but they do...

If the logic behind showing Africa the way it is shown is to get us to do something about the state of our countries/continent then it is a good way of raising awareness, if this isn't the logic, I still Hate the Africa they show because it is not just lions running about the streets, people with no clothes or shoes, no electricity, no water,no education...It is more than that, it is a mix just like the rest of the world of bad and good...

No comments:

Post a Comment