Aye o lo mo kan! I love Funke Akindele!!!she is legendary!
ok so the film was about a spoilt brat who could not look after her husband...and this was the problem. I like the way the man did not leave her though,however the story line kinda annoyed me...for various reasons.
1. Why did the girl have to be a spoilt brat who grew up in england
2. Why did growing up in england mean that she could not cook(might I add that, I have never had a meat pie in england!)
3. Why was it such an issue that she could not cook
4. Why did they OTT the whole pant issue
5. Why was the untidy room a big deal?
You could have a girl who actually was not spoilt i.e. her parents disciplined her and taught her manners but she just never conformed...my sisters and burramint (till she realised cooking is therapeutic) could not boil water! I wasn't cooking till I was in SS2 and that caused me to be an outcast...but my mum did teach me, like I knew that I should cook but I didn't.
I know alot of people who grew up in England and are better behaved than some who grew up in Nigeria. In the end, its not where you grow up, its how! Your home is the greatest determinant for how you will turn out, not the area, or country!
My aunty does not like cooking and she is married with kids, she can cook, but she does not so what's the difference, can't cook, won't cook, all na the same!!However does this make her a 'bad wife', 'mother' or 'woman' because she will not be a norm?? My mummy cannot ro (make) amala and she cannot cook jollof rice, basic to some, rocket science to her.*actually she learnt how to make amala for 2, a month ago!jollof rice is still a challenge
I have not handwashed my underwear in 2 years, sue me, so!why is that a determinant of her usefulness at home???and my room is constantly untidy but that has nothing with being 'ke(d) baje or ju', I hate tidying!
The good thing is that the man did not audi the babe which would have been typical for the naija husband!*the whole impregnating the househelp was so the norm!!!! but to be fair there was no need to go on asif the girl would not survive at all if she couldn't do those things!!I love love love the film though and I recommend it to anyone who misses and loves jenifa!

Yes please preach it..........to me that film did not make any sense whatsoever although it was an interesting watch.Personally as iv said before i dnt look to the media to teach me how to live my life but to those who do,this movie is sayin that once u as a woman cannot cook then that is the end of ur life,i call bull.
ReplyDeleteFirst and foremost......i'm gonna commend funke akindele cuz compared to the rest of them out there her films are about the only ones that make a little sense.
Have you seen "Ede mi"....that to me is just another stupid Yoruba movie that says that it is okay for your husband to cheat on you and send you packing just because:
1) You have just one child
2) You were brought up abroad and cannot speak Yoruba.
Anyway i digress,back to Funke Akindele.I thought i was the only one who noticed that most of her films usually had that archaic notion that women should come second while their husbands should come first.
While watching that "Aye olomo kan" movie i was constantly saying to my friend that i did not get the point of the movie.Seriously does it mean that cuz a woman cannot cook then she is automatically giving her husband a free pass to sleep with the maid,i dnt care that it was a twist or woteva,dat was what the moral of the story was.I'm not in any way supporting the fact that a woman should be useless in the kitchen but as u rightly said,some pple were taught but they just dint learn while some just dnt like the kitchen period. There is more to a woman than that,the movie made it seem like as a woman once u cannot cook then you are a complete failure.I could not stand the fact that everytime the husband came back from work the only thing that was on his mind was FOOD,as if her sole purpose in life was to cook for him...hissss.There are men like my father who are not fussy about food,why do they make it seem like all men are big on food.I really do not get it at all.
"Hannah Montana".......that to me was just a huge joke,i mean was she 13 or smthin??
All in all though,the comic relief did not make any sense but it was funny all the same.
concerning your second point.. i dont think she made the meat-pie.. she bought it u crack head!!
ReplyDeleteyou know we can't get on the story line of any nigerian movie, they are always inherently flawed. lol
i mostly watched for the laughter
i dont think the issue was that she couldn't handwash her underwear it was that it was given to someone else -a man to wash.. you must agree with me that as her mother said, some things should be private...
err yeah the whole cooking thing was way out of proportion, i wish thy had played up her love for her husband a little bit more to cos they made it seem like cooking was the only symbol of love. then again her husband was the main breadwinner so i kinda see their point a little bit.
as for the untidy room pls they should get over themselves!! untidy rooms put together the best outfits... after years of being made to feel inferior cos i am not "neat" i now embrace it with all my heart and also embrace my lovely boyfriend who loves to clean up after me!
hehee
peace love and messy rooms