
Just had my second exam and I must say people keep the prayers coming, I need them!!
Anyway so I just saw a video by some boys rapping about air and hair and music...hmm...kicks and starts or something...I am a big HATER of the talented rapper, designer, photographer, make-up artist...the artist in general...and I have never really known why...at first it was jealousy as I have no artistic talent, cannot sing, cannot rhyme, cannot draw a straight line, have no fashion sense...nana...in a way I am jealous as in I wish I had the ability to do some of these things...anywhichway I do have the ability to speak and write(ok somewhat!) so I should not over-hate!!
back to my point...I have realised that the dignity of education has diminished over the past 3-4 generations...
In the colonial era and the early post-colonial era, there was dignity in becoming a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer, an accountant...generally to obtain either professional degrees or specialise in a subject and reach the highest point...Intellectualism was key...My great-grand parents and grand-parents belong to this era...As a result, our political, intellectual families were born...the lawyers, doctors etc...This was mostly because they had suffered the insensitivity of racism where they were relegated to slavery...A thirst to be like their masters drove their ambition to become intellectual...they had to stand up to their masters...However abberations occurred...Fela...he was a musical intellectual...in this sense I would argue that he was like the other intellectuals as he was put on the same pedestal as western musical intellectuals...
These people gave birth to my parents and their friends...however the drive to become intellectuals had diminished...the drive was material success...this they have achieved... Our parents lived off the glory of their parents...i.e. their dignity was ascribed to them partly because of whose child they were...this is not to say that they have not worked hard or that some of them have not succeeded without the help of an intellectual parent...however they have not been the saviours of our country, they work through the system and maintain the status quo...no revolutionary spirit like their fathers and mothers...
Then there is the new generation...the tomorrow of Nigeria...we have abandoned intellectualism further...our drive is not revolutionary...our drive is material success...no dignity in suffering...infact suffering...wth is that???I am guilty of this as well...I chose not to do a professional degree but in my defence...I LOVE what I do and those who know me will testify that I breath the humanities...I want to be an intellectual like my grand-parents but I don't know if I want to be that uncomfortable...
So what is my point...that this new boom of musicians, designers, rappers, make-up artists etc are a result of the desire to move away or rebel from intellectualism and find another way to succeed apart from school rather than a desire to change the status quo...in my revolutionary spirit I say...'children of the arts unite' but the truth is I cannot see the intellectualism in what we do...we are singing about girls bums, popping bottles, i'm hotter than fire...and the cliche corruption in Nigeria...it's a hard life wey we dey live o...but what are we going to do to change it...We are inspired by Hollywood to be 'artistes'...there is money to be made but let us not forget that Hollywood was created at a time when America had created wealth for its people and so this next step was acceptable!! Nigeria has not created wealth and our 'artistes' should be like Russia's Zamiatin, Gorky, Pasternak,Eisenstein...revolutionary...angry for change...why are we singing about hair and nonsense as if that's our problem in life!

o wa very angry!!! hiss.. i get ur p though, but i choose to single out the rappers, they are the only ones i have a problem with take for instance a make-up artist- he or she maybe doing what they truly love example toni payne she saw a deficiency in make up for women with nigerian skin and pursued her dream she is a graduate in business i think but she went on to do her make up thing and now she has a line that caters to the needs of nigerian women. it may not sound revolutionary but in its own little way it is. she has done something out of the ordinary and is pushing for a change however small it may be and this was all before her marriage to 9ice.
ReplyDeleteerrr yeah so u get my p?
maybe so...but i generalized the artists and you have to agree that toni payne is one in a number of them...i really like ty bello...she is a photographer, singer and make-up artist!!plus my discussion on fela and charlie boy shows that i agree with branching out but learning in your field like fela and lagbaja!!!
ReplyDelete